Delight in Everything

Sunday, June 03, 2007

A great idea!





When Andrew and I taught Seminary a few years ago (an early morning religious education class for High School students from our church) we had the challenge to help the student memorize 25 selections from the book of scripture we were studying that year. And it was a challenge!!! I often thought how much easier it would have been if the students had started memorizing the verses earlier or even worked on it with their families. It was then I decided that my kids would start memorizing their Scripture Mastery verses before they even started Seminary. I know, my kids will be the 'geeks' of the class, but is that really a bad thing? (rhetorical question)

Well fast forward to today when I actually put my plan in to motion. I have all these fun worksheets (from the year that we taught the D&C curriculum) that were used to help the kids memorize. Well I realized that these would be perfect for Brianna to work on. I tested a few out on her today during Church and she loved it! This should keep her busy for several months! The worksheets came from two packets that you can buy at http://www.kenalford.com/ or at places like Deseret Book or the BYU bookstore if you are lucky enough to live close by those places. I highly recommend the packets(if you click on the picture to the left you can see a sampling of some of the stuff included in the packets). I only have packets 1 and 2 from D&C but hope to add all volumes from The New Testament, Old Testament, and Book of Mormon . They cost $16.95 but they are totally worth it, and you are allowed to make enough copies for family or seminary use. A lot of great games are included in the packets and would be great for Family Home Evening. I hope to challenge Andrew on a few of them and see who can fill out the sheets faster.

This also helps me with my goal to bring only church related materials to Church so that the kids can really get more out of the meetings. Somehow I don't think that coloring a Thomas the Tank coloring book really adds to experience for them. Well the peace and quiet we as parents got from those coloring kids really helped deepen our experience, lol, but we can get the same results using other more-appropriate materials.

Well enough rambling!

1 Comments:

Blogger Maren said...

That is so much better for a Sacrament activity than "normal" coloring books or normal books for that matter. What a novel idea. :) I hope you get to complete your set some day!

2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home