Bookclub
For the last few years I have regularly attended a book group made up of ladies from my church. We read great books, challenge our minds through intellectual discussion (well at least try to), laugh together, eat incredible food (especially Ruth Ann's treats, yum!), but most of all we talk and then talk some more. It is a special time for us to be ourselves, free of our responsibilities of being wives and mothers. I find the meetings to be incredibly relaxing and invigorating at the same time, and I always feel so much better the day after book club. I absolutely love being part of this great group of women.
Needless to say, this group has meant more to me than I ever thought possible. Many of my favorite memories of Connecticut involve book group. It is in this group that I have made friends with some of the choicest people I know. I have also learned a lot about myself along the way. So tonight's meeting was bittersweet for me. It was a wonderful meeting with all the things that I love (great discussion, people, and food) but it was my last meeting before my move and that made me sad. I tried to tell the ladies how grateful I was for the group and how much I am going to miss it/them, but by my second sentence I was sobbing. I am pretty sure no one could understand what I was trying to say; I hope they understood anyway. Much to my surprise the ladies presented me with a gift, a book with handwritten notes from each of them on the inside cover. It was the perfect book too, a children's book called "V Is For Volunteer: A Tennessee Alphabet. " Of course this made me cry more. This group is one of the hardest things for me to leave behind.
So to my friends from book group: Thanks for everything! It was so much fun! Just one last request. Would it be alright if I participate via phone for the Harry Potter meeting in July? 1000 miles will not keep me from missing that meeting.
Needless to say, this group has meant more to me than I ever thought possible. Many of my favorite memories of Connecticut involve book group. It is in this group that I have made friends with some of the choicest people I know. I have also learned a lot about myself along the way. So tonight's meeting was bittersweet for me. It was a wonderful meeting with all the things that I love (great discussion, people, and food) but it was my last meeting before my move and that made me sad. I tried to tell the ladies how grateful I was for the group and how much I am going to miss it/them, but by my second sentence I was sobbing. I am pretty sure no one could understand what I was trying to say; I hope they understood anyway. Much to my surprise the ladies presented me with a gift, a book with handwritten notes from each of them on the inside cover. It was the perfect book too, a children's book called "V Is For Volunteer: A Tennessee Alphabet. " Of course this made me cry more. This group is one of the hardest things for me to leave behind.
So to my friends from book group: Thanks for everything! It was so much fun! Just one last request. Would it be alright if I participate via phone for the Harry Potter meeting in July? 1000 miles will not keep me from missing that meeting.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home